A memory foam pillow cannot go into the washing machine, but there are better options to clean it.
In this article, we will discuss the ways to clean and keep your memory foam pillow fresh always.
See also – Are Memory Foam Pillows Good?
How to Wash Your Memory Foam Pillow or a Seat Cushion
Despite the material inside your pillow, you have to ensure it’s always clean and hygienic.
One of the most common methods of doing this is using a pillowcase.
Pillowcase and covers are easy to clean and can go into the washing machine.
However, they should be breathable and be made of natural fiber.
After some time, even if the pillowcase is on, some tiny dirt particles will enter into the pillow.
This will make it necessary to wash your memory foam pillow at least once a year.
Clean your Pillow with the following easy steps;
- Choose a good day to do the cleaning
Unless you have many pillows, you may want to do your cleaning on a breezy warm day. This will speed up the drying process.
- Fill a bathtub or sink with warm water and add some gentle detergent. You can also add a drop of lavender oil to give the pillow a good smell.
- Remove the covers from the pillow and submerge it in the lukewarm water you prepared in the sink
- Squeeze the pillow gently, allowing the soap water to enter in and flush out dirt
- Repeat the squeezing until you notice a change in the color of the cleaning water
- Drain water from the pillow entirely, empty the sink and replace with clean water
- Now submerge the pillow in the clean water and repeat the squeezing to remove more dirt and soap from the pillow
- Do the last one squeeze for longer time to remove all the water but don’t wring the pillow
- Leave the pillow to dry naturally on the outside
- You should avoid hot sun or humid surroundings
Your pillow or seat cushion will be ready to use when it’s completely dry.
To avoid washing your pillow from time to time, you can take measures to ensure it remains clean.
Always cover your pillow, rinse your face, and head before going to sleep.
Deodorizing Memory Foam Pillow
Not all new memory foam pillows lack smell.
Some will have an unpleasant smell or even a pleasant fragrance.
Whether it is a good fragrance or foul odor, you don’t know its source, and you have to get rid of it.
Deodorizing is not necessary to clean, but it will destroy the bad smells and keep the pillow hygienic.
If you are ready to deodorize your pillow, the following steps will guide you;
- Strip the pillow off the pillowcase or any covers and place it on a flat surface in the sun.
- Gently sprinkle baking soda on the pillow. If you want the pillow to have a good scent, mix a drop of lavender oil with soda before sprinkling.
Besides the excellent odor, lavender will help you have improved sleep.
- Leave the memory foam pillow to stand for at least 3 hours.
More time will allow the soda to absorb all the unwanted odors.
- Vacuum the pillow to remove the baking soda and any other particles in the pillow.
Sometimes, new pillows may have an odor close to that of chemicals or fresh car paint.
This may be as a result of the manufacturing process.
Chemical smell may or may not be harmful. But you can get rid of it by allowing your pillow to sit in the open for hours.
It is not easy to avoid the use of chemicals in the production process. We stock seat cushions that are safe and actually make a difference.
See also – 10 Best Seat Cushions for Hemorrhoids
How to Care for Memory Foam Pillow
Every memory form pillow has its recommended care instructions.
Therefore, the first action towards caring for your pillow is to carefully read the manufacturer’s washing instructions.
Nevertheless, not all memory pillows have clear instructions or instructions at all.
In that case, the following general instruction and tips will help set you on the right foot.
The first tip is to vacuum your memory pillow after 7 days of use.
You don’t want to wait until your memory pillow is very dirt to start thinking of cleaning.
A vacuum will remove particles of dust, hairs, dead skin cells, and other particles from your pillow.
If you change the pillowcase without dealing with this kind of dirt, the pillow will transfer the dirt to the clean case.
Spot cleaning is another way to lengthen the life of your memory pillowcase.
Vacuum cleaning will remove only the tiny solid particles but will do nothing to spots and stains.
While enjoying breakfast in bed, things can get out of hand, and your pillow sustains a resistant wine spill.
Luckily there are ways to remove even the scariest stains like those of soda or blood.
How to Spot Clean
- Always deal with spots immediately they happen
- Start by removing the case and pillow cover
- Blot the stain with a dry piece of clean cloth using lifting motions
- Mix warm water and a detergent in a clean container
- With the water and a clean cloth, rub the stain gently, starting from the outside toward the center.
- Repeat the process several times until the stains are completely removed before allowing the pillow to dry.
Also, ensure to change the pillowcases regularly or wash them at least every week.
When it’s time to wash the pillow, you should do it on a dry, warm day for quick drying.
We rest in the same place every night.
While it is essential to clean your bedding, you should also clean your pillow.
Now that you know how to do it, you don’t have to sleep on a dirty pillow again.